More people are driving Electric Vehicles (EVs), and the numbers are continuing to rise. To bring these drivers to your business—whether as employees, tenants or customers—you can entice them by installing EV charging stations.
EV charger installation can feel like a daunting idea for business owners. Which models should you buy? How does charging work? What factors do you have to consider?
Once you have the basic information you need, electric car charging station installation isn’t complicated at all. Here are our top 5 things to know before installing EV charging stations.
Choose Certified, Open-Network Charging Stations
There are many EV chargers to choose from, but you want to choose a networked charger that can connect to the Internet. This unlocks the full potential of an EV charger. With a networked system, once your EV charger installation is complete and your system is up and running, you can:
- Charge fees for usage, including adjustable fees by time and day
- Monitor usage and detect problems from a single point of control
- Take advantage of “smart grid” best practices on power usage
- Allow EV drivers in the area to find your charging stations
- Generate reports to help you understand usage trends
Pick Chargers That Support Open Network Standards
With a closed network, EV charger installation carries additional costs down the line. If you want to go with a different brand of EV chargers in the future, either to add new units or replace existing ones, the closed network won’t support hardware from other manufacturers. You’re locked into that particular manufacturer. If you want to change, you may have to tear down the old hardware and undertake the electric car charging station installation process all over again.
At EV Connect, we use an open network that supports a wide selection of EV charger brands. We follow the OCPP and OpenADR standards on open network compliance, which means that with our network, you have the maximum amount of choice in hardware, both now and in the future. This is especially important because the industry is evolving so rapidly; as it develops, your choice in EV charger brands might evolve, too.
Leverage Financial Incentives and Rebates
Federal, state, and local financial incentives are likely available in your area to help offset some of the cost of EV charger installation.
Customize And Brand Your Chargers For Maximum Impact
How you present your EV charging amenity to people will make a big difference in utilization and reputation. At EV Connect we can help! We offer:
- Comprehensive networking solutions for all types of industries, including:
- A white label service called Pioneer that lets you offer EV charging amenities under your own brand once your EV charger installation is complete and online.
- A package of customizable APIs called Foundation to give enterprise customers more control over how you use our software.
- A driver app to help your drivers find EV charging stations wherever they go.
Get Your EV Charging Stations Installed With EV Connect
Many businesses may not know where to begin when it comes to installing EV charging stations. The hardest part is navigating the process, from rebates to installation to management. EV Connect is here to guide you through the entire process!
We can help you with:
- Choosing the brand and model of EV chargers best suited to your needs
- Determining the number and placement of charging station on your lot(s)
- Permitting and regulatory compliance
- Recommending local installers and coordinating the end to end experience
- Management of the charging stations with the EV Connect software platform
Contact us today for a free consultation to discuss how you can get started!